We are blessed in Kennington with a lovely park and this page tells you some things about Kennington Park, its facilities and trees, and also about The Friends of Kennington Park.
In 1852 Kennington Common was described as 'a small grassless square, surrounded with houses, and poisoned by the stench of vitriol (sulphuric acid) works and by black, open sluggish ditches.'
The same year, Prince Consort's Lodge, the model housing designed by Prince Albert for the Great Exhibition, was moved to it's present site.
When the Common was enclosed in 1854, Kennington Park was created as south London's first public park.
In 1858 John Gibson took charge of the park and with a budget of £200 he set about planting formal and elaborate flower beds. The basic layout of some of these beds can still be seen today.
The 1930s saw the park benefit from the creation of an English Flower Garden and a Lido.
In the 1960s the park was extended to take over playing fields in the east.
Replanting of the flower beds
Help replant some of Kennington Park's flower beds.
To make a donation and to get more information visit: www.KenningtonPark.org
For more information on the Friends of Kennington Park, or to request booklets about the park, write to the above address or email:
Booklets on Kennington Park
Green and Pleasant Land - A potted history of Kennington Park's horticulture.
Kennington's Forgotten Tragedy - Lambeth's worst World War II bombing incident in Kennington Park.
Pastimes - The history of sports and leisure in Kennington Park.
The Springtime of the Peoples - Celebrating the 160th anniversary of the Chartists Rally on Kennington Common on 1848.